On the Same Page Since 2003.
Community Reads enters its 15th year in 2018. From its beginning, Community Reads has been committed to making programs available to the readers of Bowling Green and Wood County at no charge. The program is supported entirely through privately raised funds; no tax dollars are used to fund Community Reads.
The program’s popularity comes from both its variety of reading experiences —ranging from Marley and Me by John Grogan to the work of National Book Award winner, Sherman Alexie; and its engaging tie-in events —from a contest of decorated cakes inspired by Homer Hickam’s Rocket Boys to visits from Community Reads authors.
Past Community Reads Selections:
- 2003 Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam*
- 2004 To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- 2005 Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella (April) and Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (October)
- 2006 Marley and Me by John Grogan*
- 2007 Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls*
- 2008 Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
- 2009 The Works of Edgar Allen Poe and In the Shadow of the Master, ed. Michael Connelly
- 2010 Book Lust by Nancy Pearl*
- 2011 Widow of the South by Robert Hicks* and Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz
- 2012 Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King*
- 2013 Born to Run by Christopher McDougall*
- 2014 Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers*
- 2015 Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee and The Mockingbird Next Door by Marja Mills*
- 2017 The Work of Sherman Alexie*
- 2018 News of the World by Paulette Jiles*
- 2019 3 Books by Amy Stewart*
*Community Reads which included a visit to Bowling Green by the author.