The State of the Library, March 2018
By the numbers:
- In 2017, borrowing of books, e-books, audiobooks, etc. remains very strong with a total of 643,915 including:
- Bowling Green 469,778
- Walbridge 50,802
- Bookmobile 29,342
- WC Jail Library 19,599
- E-books, etc. 74,394 (up 18%)
- Since 2002, usage has increased 45% (441,573 in 2002).
- 1,594 programs and events attended by 30,793 people (up 11%).
- 279 adult programs; 4,368 attendees.
- 1,315 youth programs; 26,425 attendees (up 12%).
- 22,832 items added to the collections.
- 110,864 questions answered by the staff (up 7%).
- Foot traffic averaged 4,269 visitors per week.
- Renovated and expanded Walbridge library opened in March. 2017 usage in Walbridge is at an all-time high.
- 26,287 cardholders (up 3%), not including 6000 eCards distributed to Bowling Green, Lake, and Northwood schools.
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten initiative launched in June to promote early literacy. Thank you to the Friends of the Library for sponsoring this effort.
- The Foundation raised over $110,000 at their Library Benefit at Schedel for the purchase of new books, audiobooks, e-books, etc.
|State Public Library Fund||$1,428,179||53.47%|
|Fines, Fees, Misc.||$84,185||3.15%|
|Foundation & Friends||$153,234||5.74%|
|2016 Construction Purchase|
|Orders carried into 2017||$790,163|
|Services & Construction||$1,172,430||34.76%|
|New Books, Etc.||$421,959||12.51%|
|FFE & Technology||$128,513||3.81%|
- 0.8 mill, 5-year levy passed in November 2010 with 58% approval.
- Levy RENEWED for 6 years in November 2014 with 70% approval.
- The current levy will next be on the ballot in November 2020.
- State funding for libraries is set at 1.68% of General Revenue.
- As the economy improves and state revenues grow, so does support for libraries. As General Revenue decreases (or is cut), so does support for libraries.
You may download a pdf of the State of the Library, 2016 from the link below.