Youth Services Assistant (full-time)
WCDPL is seeking an outgoing individual to deliver high-quality library services to children (from birth through preschool, school-aged K-8, AND teens aged 13-17) & families. As part of a dedicated team working in a fast-paced environment, the successful applicant will put themselves “on stage” in order to connect the community to the library:
- You share your passion for books and reading by talking about (and offering meaningful recommendations of) the latest books, movies, and music. You are an avid reader that loves to re-read classics, read new titles, and then enthusiastically share these reading experiences with library patrons.
- You are an explorer; you are out on the floor with patrons as they journey through the library.
- You understand patron needs and connect them with the right solution; you are a sleuth at heart.
- You engage well with others and are passionate about providing an exemplary experience.
- You are a good listener with lots of patience.
- You are a team player who thinks quickly on your feet.
- You serve as host, role model, and safety monitor – you maintain a safe environment for all those visiting the library.
- You are a wizard at teaching patrons how to use technology from e-books to online databases.
- You design and implement library events and learning opportunities that create magical, transformative experiences for children and teens.
- In front of a group or working 1-on-1, you are a natural-born teacher. You are not shy.
Requirements: bachelor’s degree; successful customer service experience; strong Internet, ebook, and technology skills; strong research skills beyond Google, and extensive knowledge of children’s literature.
- 37.5 hours per week (evenings & weekends required; may at times work at other locations)
- $13.50 per hour to start
- Benefits include OPERS retirement, vacation/sick/personal time, and health/dental coverage.
To apply: Email a detailed letter of interest explaining why you are the best candidate for this opportunity, a current resume, names/contact information for 3 work-related references, and a completed application (download from the attachment below*) to A.J. Heilman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Open until filled. Review of applications begins immediately. No inquiries please.
*Download an application:
Applications for employment are kept on file at WCDPL for a period of 6 months, and are reviewed when openings occur.